Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Example essay


Now I don't like to tell people this, an I have tried to keep it secret for the most part, but I am not from Maine. The first six months of my life were spent in Massachusetts. My whole life I will have to live with the fact that I am not a true Mainer, and it bothers me. I have tried to keep this under raps and not let on that I am a “flatlander”, but I cannot continue to live the lie. I love living in Maine and I cannot imaging living somewhere else. Some of the examples of why I love living here are the people who live here, the beauty of this state, and the way of life here. It is truly the way life should be.
The greatest things about this state is the people. A hearty bunch of people who will give you the shirt off there backs if you were to ask. Except for some shady exceptions from the southern part of the state I have never met a more honest, caring, trustworthy bunch of folks. It is not uncommon total strangers to stop and help you if you need it. If your broke down on the side of the road someone will stop. If your arm full of grocery bags starts to rip half way to the car, some will grab an armful and help you lug them. Open the door for you, offer advice at the hardware store, I could go on and on, you name it somebody is always trying to help. They are rugged, practical people with common sense that you just can't keep down.
Maine is a beautiful place for the greater part of the year. The change of seasons, I love Summer, who doesn’t wish it was longer, Fall is amazing, Winter is a pretty adventure, the rebirth of Spring, wow. The season that I really have a problem with is Mud season, I don't care for everything being muddy and dirty and brown. We have such a diverse geographical state and it is all readily available for us to see and enjoy. The mountains of western Maine and their powerful presence. The ocean and all its magnificence. I like the ocean the best. The vast forests of northern Maine. Our five big rivers. I have traveled other places where a lake is a rare thing. But not here, we have so many we have to name them First Machias, Second Machias, all the way up to Fifth Machias lakes, because it was easier to just number them then to keep making up names I guess. I cannot say how many times I have had to pull my car over, get out, and just say “Will you look at that.” The beauty of this state never fails to amaze me.
I remember an old “Bert and I” with an old Mainer talking in thick accent about the old days. He said “Some one said there was a Depression on.....Well up here we didn't notice much.” They are resourceful and can make due with most anything. In Maine the choice of a fancy new ride is not the latest E-Class Mercedes with low profile tires, huge sound system and the “Super Bling” chrome package. It's a new three quarter ton, diesel with a plow and the tow package...red, if you they have one. It is a different way of life where the things that are important in life, really are important. Make due with what you have, and be happy with that, because you are lucky to have what you have.
In the summer I work on a sail boat that sails two charters out of Camden. All summer long I praise the state and the people in it. It's a different way of life than most people are use to who are “from away”. I tell folks that I don't lock my house and I rarely take the keys out of my car. I know people who drive from Eagle Lake to Bangor just to have dinner and enjoy the ride. It is a slower pace of life, not much hustle and bustle. People grow things and raise animals. Harvest from the land and sea. You know your neighbors and will go out of your way for them. Family is the most important thing. People belong to the same church that there great grand parents did. An honest days pay for an honest days work. You assume the best from people. I have seen a grown mans expression change from one of anxiety to a look of relief and contentment simply from driving northbound over the Portsmouth/Kittery bridge.

1 comment:

  1. This is a cause essay, not an example essay. As soon as you said "examples of why" you were pushing yourself into giving reasons, causes. Examples would be different: three examples of beauty spots you know in Maine; three examples of neighbor helping neighbor--something along those lines.

    So, a rewrite and reconception of the type essay--

    ReplyDelete