Saturday, September 4, 2010

Graf # 1 Hands

It is amazing how long a scar can last. I look at my hands and see scars that I have had most of my life. On the back of my left hand is a small light spot that sticks out from the contrast of the tan skin. This one reminds me of my Dad who took me to get a wart removed as a kid. It was the only wart I ever had and I recall what a great time I had in Bangor after we visited the doctor. As I turn my hands over I look at the callous pads, at the base of each finger. These are from stacking wood and working ropes sailing. In the past few days they have become rough and torn from weather and work, not the usual smooth dead skin. It makes me think of my wife and how these hands must feel when I rub her back. It cannot be very soothing, more like sandpaper. But, she doesn’t say anything and that is one of the many things that I love about her.

1 comment:

  1. " It makes me think of my wife and how these hands must feel when I rub her back. It cannot be very soothing, more like sandpaper. But, she doesn’t say anything and that is one of the many things that I love about her. "

    It doesn't always work to bring in new material at the end of a piece, but it does work here, very well, leaving the reader with a visual.

    ReplyDelete