Monday, September 13, 2010

Unique graf #4

What is unique about me? I guess that is pretty subjective isn't it? My wife says “ Your unique all right!” What is unique in some circles is common place in others. Lets dig a little to see if we can answer this question. I am a little over weight, that's not unique. I struggle with the craving to smoke, that's not unique. I love my family, that's not unique. I have been on the same career path since I was 15 years old. Hold on, that may be unique. I have known since I was a teenager I wanted to be a firefighter. I was a volunteer firefighter in high school and that distracted me from my studies. I will greatly regret this in later life. I went to Paramedic school when all my buddies were going to get there degrees in Fire Science. I got hired as a career firefighter first. I could see the writing on the wall that if you had a Paramedic license your odds of getting into a career fire department were greatly increased. While my buddies were competing with each other for a hand full of jobs. I work 24 hour shifts, that is kind of unique. It can suck, but it is unique. I know that I have the best job in the world. I cannot imagine doing something else for work. I was made for it, and it is all I have ever wanted to do and I think I am pretty good at it. That may be unique. Along the way I found out I like boats and sailing. I started working on a schooner on my days off from the fire department. I liked it so much I got my Captains license and started driving a schooner on my days off. Wait, that sounds a little unique. I meet people from all over the world and get paid to go sailing. I work a job I really love with a bunch of great guys, that's really exciting. I guess that is pretty unique. I am the only firefighter'en, paramedic'en, Sea Captain I heard of. Well, what do you know about that.

1 comment:

  1. I like very much that unique (!)lead-in where you sort through your life trying to see what does and does not qualify--then you rush along quite satisfyingly into career and hobby/career, commenting all the while on what is and isn't unique.

    ReplyDelete