Saturday, September 4, 2010

Graf #2 the worst teacher...

The worst teacher I ever had was for a weekend class I took several years ago. The class was a safety class that I had been looking forward to for weeks. It was a nationally recognized class that my employer was sending only me to. I was excited to have to do a little traveling to get to the class and the new information I would be able to bring back to my job. I arrived early to the classroom and found the more than half the class was already there. Obviously these students were as excited to take this class as I was.


The itinerary for the class read that the class would start promptly at eight A.M. They even underlined and using bold print for the word PROMPTLY to emphasize that we would have a lot of material to cover and need to use all the time allotted. The Teacher finally showed up at eight forty five. Several students had already left grumbling about better things to do. The Teacher’s entire class was on PowerPoint and he had not made the arrangements to get a projector for this class. It took another forty five minutes to get the projector and another twenty minutes to get his computer to start. Mean while twenty or so students sat politely talking amongst themselves and thumbing through the course material.

Almost two hours late he stands in front of the class and proceeds to go though his entire resume and why he is the most qualified and only person qualified enough in the state to teach this class. This took about another thirty minutes. As the Teacher got into his lecture, he would look up at his PowerPoint slides and read it to us as if none of us could read. He would fumble through the material reading it like it was all new to him. Then he would go off on different tangents for ten or fifteen minutes. Once he could regain focus and get back on task he would mumble and skip over ten or twelve slides. After burning through a bunch of slides he would just say “you guys are smart… you know all this stuff anyway.”

As the class progressed I realized that the students who left the morning of the first day were right. I did have better things to do. The second day of the class the Teacher had someone post a note on the classroom door that said even though the class was scheduled to start at eight he would not be there until ten o’clock because of a prior engagement. This class was by far the worst I have ever taken. This Teacher was one of the most unprofessional, conceded, self centered, jerks I have ever met. Even though this class was touted as an advanced level class and was very expensive to take, I got almost nothing out of it. The study material was informative but with only this jerk to tie it all together, I only came out with a fraction of the information I should have. This was by far the worst teacher I ever had.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, that is a deadly indictment, absolutely devastating. I don't know which is worse: the unpunctuality, the crappy powerpoint, or the overall unprofessionalism.

    ReplyDelete